Dr. Peter A. Fokker is chief reservoir geomechanics scientist in the team “Applied Geosciences” of TNO, and he is visiting professor at the Politecnico di Torino in Italy (DIATI) in reservoir engineering, and at Utrecht University in the Netherlands in reservoir geomechanics. His research interests are related to the sustainable use of the subsurface in the field of reservoir engineering and reservoir geomechanics, with a key link to geology and remote sensing. More specifically, his interests focus on modelling: developing fast models for reservoir engineering and linking these to reservoir simulation for productivity prediction and well testing, and developing fast geomechanical models to predict subsidence, fault reactivation, induced seismicity, and fracturing. For the incorporation of data or measurements, he works on inverse models and data assimilation. Example applications are found in geothermal operations and petroleum engineering. Fokker holds an MSc and a PhD in physics from the University of Utrecht.
- Fokker, P.A., J.L. Gunnink, K. Koster, and G. de Lange, G. (2019), Disentangling and parameterizing shallow sources of subsidence: Application to a reclaimed coastal area, Flevoland, the Netherlands. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface , 124, DOI: 10.1029/2018JF004975
- Fokker, P.A., Van Leijen, F.J., Orlic, B., Van Der Marel, H., Hanssen, R.F. Subsidence in the Dutch Wadden Sea (2018) Geologie en Mijnbouw/Netherlands Journal of Geosciences, 97 (3), pp. 129-181. DOI: 10.1017/njg.2018.9
- Van Thienen-Visser, K., Fokker, P.A. The future of subsidence modelling: Compaction and subsidence due to gas depletion of the Groningen gas field in the Netherlands (2017) Geologie en Mijnbouw/Netherlands Journal of Geosciences, 96 (5), pp. s105-s116. DOI: 10.1017/njg.2017.10
- Fokker, P.A., Wassing, B.B.T., van Leijen, F.J., Hanssen, R.F., Nieuwland, D.A. Application of an ensemble smoother with multiple data assimilation to the Bergermeer gas field, using PS-InSAR (2016) Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, 5, pp. 16-28. DOI: 10.1016/j.gete.2015.11.003
- Muntendam-Bos, A.G., Kleuskens, M.H.P., Bakr, M., De Lange, G., Fokker, P.A. “Unraveling shallow causes of subsidence” (2009) Geophysical Research Letters, 36 (10). DOI: 10.1029/2009GL037190
- Muntendam-Bos, A.G., Fokker, P.A. “Unraveling reservoir compaction parameters through the inversion of surface subsidence observations” (2009) Computational Geosciences, 13 (1), pp. 43-55. DOI: 10.1007/s10596-008-9104-z
- Fokker, P.A., Orlic, B. “Semi-analytic modelling of subsidence” (2006) Mathematical Geology, 38 (5), pp. 565-589. DOI: 10.1007/s11004-006-9034-z