I’m a hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey and have been with the California Water Science Center since 1994. I received BS and MS degrees in geology from California State University, Sacramento, where I periodically teach geology classes. I have published many studies of land subsidence related to fluid-pressure changes in areas throughout California and other areas in the Western U.S. I integrate various methods of land-surface elevation (and elevation change) measurement, including spirit leveling, Global Positioning System, extensometry, and Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) techniques, to leverage the diverse spatial and temporal scales of the datasets. Analyses and simulations have focused on the preconsolidation stress, vertical hydraulic conductivities, and the elastic and inelastic compressibilities (storage) of aquifer-system components based on hydrogeological structure, land-surface elevation changes, and groundwater-level changes. Recent studies in the San Joaquin and Coachella Valleys explore the impact of subsidence on water-conveyance infrastructure.
- Sneed, M., Brandt, J., and Solt, M., Land Subsidence Along the California Aqueduct in West-Central San Joaquin Valley, California, 2003–10: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2018-5144, 67 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20185144, 2018.
- Sneed, M., Land subsidence. In: Alley, W.M., ed., Groundwater: State of the Science and Practice, Westerville, Ohio, National Groundwater Association, p. 58-62, 2018.
- Sneed, Michelle and Brandt, Justin, Land subsidence in the San Joaquin Valley, California, USA, 2007-14, Proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on Land Subsidence, Nagoya, Japan, November 15-19: PIAHS Vol. 372, p. 23-27, https://doi.org/10.5194/piahs-372-23-2015, 2015.
- Sneed, Michelle, Brandt, Justin, and Solt, Mike, Land subsidence, groundwater levels, and geology in the Coachella Valley, California, 1993-2010: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2014-5075, 62 p, http://doi.org/10.3133/sir20145075, 2014.
- Sneed, Michelle, Brandt, Justin, and Solt, Mike, Land subsidence along the Delta-Mendota Canal in the Northern Part of the San Joaquin Valley, California, 2003–10: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2013-5142, 87 p, http://doi.org/10.3133/sir20135142, 2013.