Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Padova.
I am currently working as Research Fellow at the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering of the University of Padova (Italy). I am involved in research projects that aim at investigating the above-ground behavior of shallow soils in intertidal environments by developing and implementing numerical models of land surface evolution due to accreting and consolidation processes.
I graduated in Environmental Engineering from the University of Padua (Italy) in 2012. In 2016 I got the Ph.D. from the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering Sciences at the same university with a thesis titled Data Assimilation in Geomechanics: Characterization of hydrocarbon reservoirs, advised by Professor Giuseppe Gambolati. My research interests lie in the area of numerical modelling of land subsidence due to natural processes and anthropogenic activities and in the area of developing data assimilation techniques suitable for specific applications in geomechanical problems such as induced seismicity due to exploitation of subsurface resources.
I worked on several research projects funded by various institutions such as Eni E&P, The Dutch State Supervision of Mines, Co.Ri.La., and University of Padova. During these experiences I had the chance to contribute to the development of the research activities linked to the problem of land subsidence due to both natural and anthropogenic factors. I also contributed to the UNESCO-IGCP641 project by modelling fault activation due to anthropogenic activities and I took part in the UNESCO-IGCP663 program studying the role of sedimentation and natural compaction of Holocene sediments in prograding deltas.
- R. Boni’, C. Meisina, P. Teatini, F. Zucca, C. Zoccarato, A. Franceschini, P. Ezquerro, M. Bejar-Pizarro, J. A. Fernandez-Merodo, C. Guardiola-Albert, J. L. Pastor, R. Tomas and G. Herrera. 3D groundwater flow and deformation modelling of Madrid aquifer, Journal of Hydrology, 585, 124773, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.124773, 2020.
- Zoccarato, C. Da Lio, L. Tosi and P. Teatini, A coupled biomorpho-geomechanical model of tidal marsh evolution, Water Resources Research, 55(11), 8330-8349, doi:10.1029/2019WR024875, 2019.
- Corbau C., U. Simeoni, C. Zoccarato, G. Mantovani, and P. Teatini. Coupling land use evolution and subsidence in the Po Delta, Italy: Revising the past occurrence and prospecting the future management challenges, Science of the Total Environment, 654, 1196-1208. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.11.104, 2019.
- Zoccarato, P. S. J. Minderhoud and P. Teatini. The role of sedimentation and natural compaction in a prograding delta: insights from the mega Mekong delta, Vietnam, Scientific Reports, 8, 11437, doi:10.1038/s41598-018-29734-7, 2018.
- C. Zoccarato, P. Teatini. Numerical simulations of Holocene salt-marsh dynamics under the hypothesis of large soil deformations, Advances in Water Resources, 110 (2017), 107-119, doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.10.006
- C. Zoccarato, D. Baù, M. Ferronato, G. Gambolati, A. Alzraiee and P. Teatini. Data Assimilation of surface displacements to improve geomechanical parameters of gas storage reservoirs. J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 2016, 121, doi:10.1002/2015JB012090.